The rise of smart speakers, such as the Amazon Echo and Google Home, has changed the way people interact with devices. Voice search has become more common; consumers no longer need to type phrases into a search engine to find answers or get things done. Instead, they can simply speak directly to their devices and have their needs met.
Smart home speakers are continuing to gain popularity among digital consumers. In fact, a recent study found that nearly half of U.S. adults own a smart speaker, and this number is only expected to grow over time. As more and more people adopt these devices, it’s important for marketers to understand how this will affect SEO strategy moving forward. Keep reading to learn more!
What is SEO?
SEO stands for search engine optimization. It refers to the process of optimizing content so that it ranks well on search engines. When people search for something online, they sometimes click on links that lead to external websites. SEO helps these websites become more visible and findable so that more people click on them and visit.
In short, SEO is the process of getting the right content in front of the right people at the right time. It involves improving a website’s visibility in search engines so that it is more likely to be found. This is done by adjusting a website’s code, content, and other elements so that it meets the criteria that search engines use to evaluate which websites deserve top placement in their search results.
Voice Search Is Evolving
Searching with voice has matured considerably since the technology was first introduced. The way that people interact with devices has changed, and they now expect different results from their smart speakers.
According to Infinitive, a Technology Consulting Firm in Ashburn VA, “smart speakers allow people to use longer search strings and ask questions in a conversational way. Consumers can conduct more complex searches and get more detailed information as a result.”
These devices allow people to ask multiple questions at once and get answers that incorporate data across different areas of knowledge. This shows that search engines are evolving along with this industry, and marketers need to keep up with the latest trends.
Smart Speakers and Voice Assistants Are Changing How People Navigate Websites
One of the most notable changes is that people are now navigating websites differently. According to research, 22% of people are now more likely to click on a website’s main navigation menu. This is a big change from the way people used to navigate websites.
Rather than clicking on a general category and then a sub-category, consumers are now using voice commands to navigate straight to the most relevant content. This is happening because voice assistants are directly linking a consumer’s voice search to the main navigation menu on a website. This means that the main navigation menu is becoming more important than ever before.
It is often the very first thing that consumers see when they navigate to a website using a smart speaker. When choosing between two websites with similar content and information, the one with the menu that is most relevant to the user’s query will be chosen.
SEO Practices That Benefit from Smart Speaker Usage
Here are a few SEO practices that will benefit from smart speaker usage:
- Homepage – The homepage is the first thing that people will see when they navigate to a website through their smart speaker. It should contain a strong call to action and answer the most pressing questions for consumers. A homepage that is optimized for the smart speaker will be seen as more useful and trustworthy.
- Category pages – Category pages are often the second thing that people see after the homepage. These pages can really shine with smart speakers: they can be more detailed and include more information than they would with a traditional search engine.
- Strong product pages – Product pages are often seen as the most relevant content on a website. Thus, they will be linked to the voice search and be seen by consumers. Strong product pages will do well with smart speakers and will be seen as useful and trustworthy.
SEO Practices That Are Negatively Affected By Smart Speaker Usage
There are also a few SEO practices that will be negatively affected by smart speakers. These include: –
- Generic homepage – If a homepage contains a generic description and offers no actionable content, it will be seen as useless by the smart speaker. Generic homepages will not be selected, and people will be less likely to click on links that lead to them.
- Long category pages – Category pages will often be seen as the most relevant content on a website, thanks to voice search. However, these pages can sometimes grow too long, which will cause them to be ignored by the smart speaker. Make sure that category pages are concise and only include the most relevant content.
- Long product descriptions – Product pages will often be seen as very relevant content on a website. However, if these pages grow too long, they will be ignored by the smart speaker and may not be clicked on by consumers. Product pages should include all relevant information, but they should be kept short and to the point.
Overall, it’s clear that smart speakers will change the way people interact with websites. To succeed, you will need to optimize your content for the smart speaker and be sure to keep things short and to the point. You will also need to be sure to link your website’s main navigation menu to the most relevant content so that people can easily navigate to the information they are looking for.